Home       Disclaimer       Criteria       Review Policy       Contact       About       Reviews       An Adventurer's Guide to What to Read!

March 22, 2010

Birthmarked

Title: Birthmarked
Author: Caragh M. O'Brian
Publisher: Roaring Books Press
Release Date: March 30, 2010
Received From:  InGroup


After climate change, on the north shore of Unlake Superior, a dystopian world is divided between those who live inside the wall, and those, like sixteen-year-old midwife Gaia Stone, who live outside. It’s Gaia’s job to “advance” a quota of infants from poverty into the walled Enclave, until the night one agonized mother objects, and Gaia’s parents are arrested.
Badly scarred since childhood, Gaia is a strong, resourceful loner who begins to question her society. As Gaia’s efforts to save her parents take her within the wall, she herself is arrested and imprisoned.

This books starts with Gaia, a midwife-in-training. delivering her first baby, alone. Which would take a large amount of determination on her part. And the determination never ends, throughout the whole book, Gaia is fighting for her life and the lives of those she loves.


Gaia was a wonderful protagonist! She was strong, determined, resourceful, and strong! Even though her problems were not really relate-able while realistic, the way she dealt with them was. I definitely fell into this amazing book! While for me the book took a little while to pick up, after a point I found my-self drawn into the story and into the world. 


I thought I was not going to like this book after reading the first few chapters, but I fell in love with the rest of the book! I definitely recommend that even if you find the beginning to be slow, to stick through it! It will totally break through your expectations!


Overall even though the beginning was slow, the characters, and rest of the plot, made up for it and more! A must read!!!!!! An amazing debut, and I hope there is going to be a sequel!


5/5

4 comments:

  1. I love it when books that start out slow jump out and surprise you.
    :-)
    This sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea that this has a strong female character. This book sounds really good. The concept is not one I've seen before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like an intriguing story! I love books that take a potential version of our future world and use it for social critique, which it sounds like this book does. Great review! I'll have to check this one out!

    I have an award for you! Check it out: http://thebookishtype.blogspot.com/p/awards.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to read this.
    Thanks for the awesome review.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I love getting comments, I will try to answer all of them time willing!