Home       Disclaimer       Criteria       Review Policy       Contact       About       Reviews       An Adventurer's Guide to What to Read!

August 15, 2011

Touch of Frost Review

imageTitle: Touch of Frost (Mythos Academy #1)
Author: Jennifer Estep
Publisher: Kensington Publishing Company
Release Date: July 26, 2011
Received From: Publisher via Teen {Book} Scene

Summary: 
My name is Gwen Frost, and I go to Mythos Academy — a school of myths, magic and warrior whiz kids, where even the lowliest geek knows how to chop off somebody's head with a sword and Logan Quinn, the hottest Spartan guy in school, also happens to be the deadliest.

But lately, things have been weird, even for Mythos. First, mean girl Jasmine Ashton was murdered in the Library of Antiquities. Then, someone stole the Bowl of Tears, a magical artifact that can be used to bring about the second Chaos War. You know, death, destruction and lots of other bad, bad things. Freaky stuff like this goes on all the time at Mythos, but I'm determined to find out who killed Jasmine and why—especially since I should have been the one who died. . .


Review:

There are TONS of paranormal books coming out and I’ll be the first one to say that there are too many, but there are still some gems out there. Touch of Frost is one of them.

This paranormal book was really good because the paranormal characters in the book were so different than any other paranormal elements I’ve ever read about. There were Greek, Nordic, and Roman gods and creatures, which all worked together to create an interesting cast of creatures.

This book is similar to Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins, so I recommend it to fans of that series.

I liked how Gwen was different, and how she was unsure about what exactly her powers completely entailed. I also liked how all the different groups be it Valkyries or Gypsies like Gwen and her family they had all different powers, which added suspense and an element of surprise as we figure it out throughout the book.

One thing I didn’t like was Logan and Gwen’s relationship, I mean I like how it developed, but I didn’t like how Gwen was so dull about it. “How could he like me?” “He can’t like me, can he?” “Oh my gosh I like him!” (These are not actual quotes from the book I am paraphrasing) I just seemed really juvenile and I wish it had been set up a little better or different. But it didn’t ruin it for me, it was just a small annoyance when it would come up. The rest of the book more than made up for it.

Overall I really, really enjoyed this book and I loved the twist toward the end. I also liked how there was a mystery element and I liked solving it along with Gwen (Even though I had my suspicions early) I am really excited for the next book to see where this story goes!!!

5 maps

 

1012898

 

 

 

image

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I love getting comments, I will try to answer all of them time willing!