Home       Disclaimer       Criteria       Review Policy       Contact       About       Reviews       An Adventurer's Guide to What to Read!

August 18, 2011

All These Things I’ve Done Review

imageTitle: All These Things I’ve Done 
Author: Gabrielle Zevin
Publisher: Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) (Macmillan)
Release Date: September 6, 2011
Received From: Publisher in return for a honest review

Summary: 
In 2083, chocolate and coffee are illegal, paper is hard to find, water is carefully rationed, and New York City is rife with crime and poverty. And yet, for Anya Balanchine, the sixteen-year-old daughter of the city's most notorious (and dead) crime boss, life is fairly routine. It consists of going to school, taking care of her siblings and her dying grandmother, trying to avoid falling in love with the new assistant D.A.'s son, and avoiding her loser ex-boyfriend. That is until her ex is accidently poisoned by the chocolate her family manufactures and the police think she's to blame. Suddenly, Anya finds herself thrust unwillingly into the spotlight--at school, in the news, and most importantly, within her mafia family.

Review:
I received this book in a red box with chocolate covered espresso beans which were AMAZING! It was really cute and a great idea for them to promote this book!
First of all a world were chocolate and coffee are illegal?!?!? And paper is hard to find???? I don’t think I could live in this world. No chocolate, no books? But I guess I would get use to it eventually maybe… But it was more than that, it was a story about a mafia, family, loyalty, and being willing to be who you are regardless of what people think.
I really liked Anya as a character, she was strong, and  was willing to step in and take care of her siblings (even if she was overbearing at times) she was resilient and never willing to give up.
I kind of wish there had been more of a mystery element to this book, I mean there was such a good set up for it, but regardless I really enjoyed it.
Win was real gentleman, he was willing to wait for Anya and respected her choice not to have sex. I really appreciate this because it seems like there are so many characters in books that basically have abusive/unhealthy relationships. I also just like Win in general.
There were a few things that I wish had been elaborated upon, but besides that I really liked this book, and thought it was very different than many dystopian fiction. It really has it’s own niche and sets it self apart from a genre that while everywhere I still really enjoy!
Love the cover!!!
4 maps
1012898

2 comments:

  1. I'm really glad to read this one is good. I love the concept (even more now knowing it's about the mafia) and I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds interesting. Going without coffee wouldn't be bad, but paper and chocolate would be so much harder! Interesting way to do dystopian.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I love getting comments, I will try to answer all of them time willing!