Home       Disclaimer       Criteria       Review Policy       Contact       About       Reviews       An Adventurer's Guide to What to Read!

January 1, 2010

Three Rivers Rising: A Novel of the Johnstown Flood*


Title: Three Rivers Rising: A Novel of the Johnstown Flood*
Author: Jame Richards
Publisher:Alfred A. Knopf
Release Date: April 10, 2010
Received From: 1 ARC Tours


Sixteen-year-old Celestia is a wealthy member of the South Fork Fishing and Hunting Club, where she meets and falls in love with Peter, a hired hand who lives in the valley below, and by the time of the torrential rains that lead to the disastrous Johnstown flood of 1889, she has been disowned by her family and is staying with him in Johnstown.

This book was obviously historical, but I really enjoyed it because it was a story of something I had never heard of before, and the story was so heart-breaking that I did not feel that I was learning. The story was fiction but the events were all real.

Celestia was a very like-able character, she fell in love with someone below her class, and decided to follow that love, regardless of what her parents thought. While this was reckless, it shows the strictness of that society, and how very few could get married for love. 


The Johnstown flood was massive and no one really saw it coming, because of this book I was introduced to the great flood, and astounded that it is never talked about. This book really brought it to life and showed that a historical story can be very interesting as well as informative. 


Overall a great book with great characters, and a great historical setting.

4.5/5














*ARC

5 comments:

  1. I want to read more historical books especially in the YA department. So I'll have to check this one out when it is available. Thanks for posting about this book : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that I've moved to PA, I hear about it all the time, and I'm still not really sure what the Johnstown flood is all about. I will definitely need to check this book out! Thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the first time I've really heard what this book is about. It sounds really great and I'm goin to have to add it to my wishlist. :D

    ~Briana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for reading 3RR---glad you liked it!

    I felt the same way when I first heard about the flood---like, why aren't people talking about this!

    Thanks again,
    Jame

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I love getting comments, I will try to answer all of them time willing!