Home       Disclaimer       Criteria       Review Policy       Contact       About       Reviews       An Adventurer's Guide to What to Read!

January 4, 2010

In a Heartbeat


Title: In a Heartbeat
Author: Loretta Ellsworth
Publisher: Walker Books for Young Readers
Release Date: February 2, 2010
Received From: Around the World Tours


When a small mistake costs sixteen-year-old Eagan her life during a figure-skating competition, she leaves many things unreconciled, including her troubled relationship with her mother. From her vantage point in the afterlife, Eagan reflects back on her memories, and what she could have done differently, through her still-beating heart.


When fourteen-year-old Amelia learns she will be getting a heart transplant, her fear and guilt battle with her joy at this new chance at life. And afterwards when she starts to feel different — dreaming about figure skating, craving grape candy —her need to learn about her donor leads her to discover and explore Eagan’s life,meeting her grieving loved ones and trying to bring the closure they all need to move on.

This really was a heartbreaking book, I had not heard much about it before but I think as more people read it, it will catch on. Learning about how hard it is to live with a heart disease almost broke my heart, to think about thousands of people having to deal with that each and everyday was heartbreaking.

The emotion in this book was incredible, I mean it is about a girl who dies and therefore saves another girl's life. This is a very interesting topic that I have never read about before, and I think it is important for things like this to be written about.

While this story was heartbreaking, I wish that there had been more of the girl's stories farther along after the surgery. It kind of just ended in my opinion, so I wish there had been more info, like where Eagan was ect.

Overall a powerful book!

4/5

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great review. I am really wanting to read this. It sounds amazing and very original.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow. . . I didn't realize this book was about heart disease. I HAVE to check this out! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I love getting comments, I will try to answer all of them time willing!