Home       Disclaimer       Criteria       Review Policy       Contact       About       Reviews       An Adventurer's Guide to What to Read!

January 4, 2010

Call Me Kate: Meeting the Molly Maguires



Title: Call Me Kate: Meeting the Molly Maguires
Author: Molly Roe
Publisher:Tribute Books
Release Date: November 24, 2008
Received From: Publisher

Coming of age amidst the seething unrest of the Civil War era, feisty fourteen-year-old Katie McCafferty infiltrates the Molly Maguires, a secret Irish organization, to rescue a lifelong friend. Under the guise of Dominick, a draft resister, Katie volunteers for a dangerous mission in hopes of preventing bloodshed. Katie risks job, family, and ultimately her very life to intervene. A series of tragedies challenge Katie's strength and ingenuity, and she faces a crisis of conscience. Can she balance her sense of justice with the law?

This book was very interesting, while it started slow the action quickly picked up and I was thoroughly immersed in a story that was very, very cool for me. I love Irish culture and history so this was a great book for me.

The characters were written well and I enjoyed getting to know them, Katie was a wonderful heroine and she really pulled me into the story! I was surprised where the story took me, but it was very believable which I liked. Overall a good example of historical fiction!

4/5

4 comments:

  1. I had never heard of this book before - but it looks really interesting. Another one for my to-read list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally, I'm not much for historical novels, but this one does sound as if the story line itself would carry unlikely readers over that threshold. Thanks for sharing....and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personally, I didn't like this book. The characters weren't life like at all. Katie was over the top out there....I mean she passes for a boy with all drunk miners around? Everyone but Katie seemed duh--like they didn't get it. Was she supposed to be a goody goody?
    Waste of time....

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I love getting comments, I will try to answer all of them time willing!