Home       Disclaimer       Criteria       Review Policy       Contact       About       Reviews       An Adventurer's Guide to What to Read!

September 28, 2009

Princess of the Midnight Ball By Jessica Day George


A tale of twelve princesses doomed to dance until dawn… Galen is a young soldier returning from war; Rose is one of twelve princesses condemned to dance each night for the King Under Stone. Together Galen and Rose will search for a way to break the curse that forces the princesses to dance at the midnight balls. All they need is one invisibility cloak, a black wool chain knit with enchanted silver needles, and that most critical ingredient of all—true love—to conquer their foes in the dark halls below. But malevolent forces are working against them above ground as well, and as cruel as the King Under Stone has seemed, his wrath is mere irritation compared to the evil that awaits Galen and Rose in the brighter world above.

I absolutely adore fairy tale retelling! I am really excited that so many of them are coming out. This a retelling of the 12 dancing princesses.


I really enjoyed this book it was a good retelling and did not change it that much from the original story but I really enjoyed it more than other retellings of this same story. This version has many elaborate descriptions and attention to detail. Another thing is the fact that each character has a personality which can be hard to portray in a story with so many characters. While some of the middle girls mixed together they each were their own person with their own ideas.

I enjoyed this book, while parts of it were slow it was overall a really enjoyable read.


4/5

 
Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. Ok, I'm a little slow tonight, what story is being retold? Whichever one it is, this sounds like an interesting story. The mystery items are intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems really interesting. And I think the whole princess historical books are really coming up in the Young Adult world!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry elnice This a retelling of the 12 dancing princesses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really want to start reading fairy tales again...I love that you post your reviews for the retellings b/c now I know which ones to look for...awesome review!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! I loved the 12 Dancing Princesses. This one sounds interesting and I think I'm going to have to add it to my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I love getting comments, I will try to answer all of them time willing!