Home       Disclaimer       Criteria       Review Policy       Contact       About       Reviews       An Adventurer's Guide to What to Read!

September 15, 2009

Author Interview with Erin Dionne

Today I have an interview with the lovely Erin Dionne whose Young Adult Debut book Model's Don't Eat Chocolate Cookies came out February 5th 2009.

Where did you get for inspiration for Models don‘t eat chocolate cookies?
MODELS started as a short story about Celeste, Lively, and Sandra. For me, stories always start with a character, and a picture of Celeste actually popped into my head when I was driving home from work one night! I started writing about this girl, and the story grew from there. I had no idea it would turn into a book or be about beauty pageants!

What kind of research did you do for Models don‘t eat chocolate cookies?
I used my imagination for a lot of the book (especially the HuskyPeach scenes), but some of the experiences that Celeste has in the story were ones I had in real life--like throwing up on my gym teacher's shoes, or wearing that peach bridesmaid dress in my cousin's wedding.

How long did it take you to write?
The first draft of the book took me about six weeks! But that's rare for me. Usually, it takes me a lot longer to write a book! After I got the draft down, I revised it for TWO YEARS! MODELS went through 13 revisions before it was finally published!

When did you decide to become a writer?
I've wanted to be a writer ever since I was six years old. I just loved to read books (still do), and writing them seemed like the best job ever.

What makes you get up and start writing even when you really do not want to? (characters, plot, wanting to know what is going to happen, ect.)
Hmmm. Deadlines definitely keep me going. As does what's going on in the story. Usually, when I'm really involved in a book, all I want to do is write it! It's when I'm doing a draft, and working out the hard parts of the plot, that I don't want to write. So I do some brainstorming and write in a notebook and try and figure out the problem that way.

Do you use an outline when you start a book or do you just start writing?
I'm a terrible outliner. Typically, I come up with a character, then just start writing. I figure out the plot as I go. And I NEVER have an idea as to how the book will end when I begin. Sometimes I don't even know when I'm halfway through a book! That's why first drafts are usually so hard for me.

If you could travel anywhere from a book that is not your own where would it be?
I think I'd like to visit the world in Lois Lowry's THE GIVER. It's kind of freaky and would be very interesting to see.

Anything else we should know about Models don‘t eat chocolate cookies?
My friend, Dann Russo, wrote and recorded the songs that Theo Christmas (a rock star in MODELS) sings in the book! You can download them for free from my web site: www.erindionne.com.

Thanks Erin!


Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the fanastic interview- I actually hadn't heard of this book yet--time to add another one to the TBR pile! :0

    ReplyDelete
  2. that was an awesome interview! this is on my tbr list i heard it's really awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I love getting comments, I will try to answer all of them time willing!