Home       Disclaimer       Criteria       Review Policy       Contact       About       Reviews       An Adventurer's Guide to What to Read!

September 14, 2009

A Curse as Dark as Gold


 
"If you'll allow me to demonstrate, I do think I could be of some help to you here."
I smiled tightly. "You'd have to be able to make gold appear from thin air to be much help to us now, I'm afraid."
"Gold, you say?" he said quietly. "Well, not out of the air, maybe, but--" He reached toward Rosie and drew a length of straw free from her hat. From out of a pocket in his jacket appeared an old-fashioned handheld drop spindle, the kind no one uses anymore, and he sent it spinning with a turn of his hand. Slowly, as we watched, he drew out the straw and spun it--spun it! 
As if it were a roving of wool! Rosie and I stood there and watched him, moment by moment, as the spindle bobbed and twirled. Something pulled out from the brown straw and through his knobby fingers, and where it should have gone onto the spindle, the finest strands of gleaming gold threads appeared. Round and round the spindle went, and the gleaming of gold turned with it. I don't know how long we watched it, turning and turning, flashing gold with every revolution. I could not take my eyes away.


 This book was very good, I like Fairy Tale retellings. This book debuted last year and won the debut award! So I had some high expectations that were definitely met!   

There are not very many retellings of Rumpelstiltskin so I was excited to read this, the characters were well developed and the story was told well. I enjoyed the twists in the Rumpelstiltskin story as well they added intrigue and interest. The book also focused on the girl who was being tricked more than anything else which was a great turn from the traditional story. 

I really did not find anything wrong with this book it was well written and very interesting, the only small problem was that small parts of the book were boring but those were greatly overshadowed by the good points!

5/5 

3 comments:

  1. Yeah I remember reading this when it first came out and I loved it. Still one of my fave reads. I cant wait for the author's next book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard about this book but it sounds like something I would like. *add to wishlist* Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like fairy tale retellings too, and this one sounds especially good.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I love getting comments, I will try to answer all of them time willing!