Home       Disclaimer       Criteria       Review Policy       Contact       About       Reviews       An Adventurer's Guide to What to Read!

January 17, 2011

Trickster’s Girl

 

imageTitle: Trickster’s Girl
Author: Hilari Bell
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin
Release Date: January 3, 2011
Received From: Author via Traveling To Teens



Summary:

In the year 2098 America isn't so different from the USA of today. But, in a post-9/11 security-obsessed world, "secured" doesn't just refer to borders between countries, it also refer to borders between states. Teenagers still think they know everything, but there is no cure for cancer, as Kelsa knows first-hand from watching her father die.

The night Kelsa buries her father, a boy appears. He claims magic is responsible for the health of Earth, but  human damage disrupts its flow. The planet is dying.

Kelsa has the power to reverse the damage, but first she must accept that magic exists and see beyond her own pain in order to heal the planet.


Review:

I was super excited about reading this book, I mean read that synopsis and try not to want to read it.

I loved the combination of science fiction and magic in this semi dystopian novel. The combination of genres gave this book a really different feel than any other YA book I have read before.

Kelsa was very relatable, the way she tried to skirt her mother and their relationship. Raven was a fun character as well seeing him try to understand Kelsa while trying to get them where they were going. Without him this story would have been really boring all the mischief he got into was refreshing compared to Kelsa’s uptight attitude.

I liked the premise about the leys but I kind of wish healing them would have been a little harder, I mean the journey was hard but the actual healing was pretty boring.

Finally the ending was lame. It basically just ended, and Kelsa went home the end. Maybe there is going to be a sequel I don’t know but the ending was thoroughly unsatisfactory.

(UPDATE there is a sequel, I looked at the cover and low and behold it says Raven duet. So maybe the ending will be a bit more satisfactory knowing that.)

4 ivy2

 

 

1012898

1 comments:

  1. The summary hooked me. It sounds very interesting and I want it!

    Great review!
    HAPPY readings!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I love getting comments, I will try to answer all of them time willing!