Home       Disclaimer       Criteria       Review Policy       Contact       About       Reviews       An Adventurer's Guide to What to Read!

August 26, 2009

Interview with Megan Crewe

Today I have an interview with Megan Crewe author of Give up the Ghost which comes out September 15th!!

Where did you get for inspiration for Give Up the Ghost?

I had this idea of a girl just hanging out with her dead sister, and I really liked the thought of someone who enjoyed talking to ghosts instead of seeing it as something scary or a hassle.

What kind of research did you do for Give up the Ghost?

I did some reading on girl bullying--the ways girls attack each other, its affects on the victims. The book ODD GIRL OUT was particularly helpful. Learning about that allowed me to get an idea of where Cass was coming from.

How long did it take you to write?

The first draft by itself took a couple of months. But when you include the first time I tried to write it (which didn't work out), the revisions, and the gaps in between, it adds up to a little less than two years.

When did you decide to become a writer?

I always enjoyed telling stories and writing them down. As I got older and started sharing my stories with friends and classmates and teachers, I got such an enthusiastic response that I started to think that it might be something I could do as a career. I started pursuing publication (with short stories, at the time) when I was 14.

Do you use an outline when you start a book or do you just start writing?

I always have an outline. If I try to do without one I inevitably write myself into a corner I can't get out of. Outlining helps me figure out problems with my plot and characters before I've put a lot of time into heading in the wrong direction.

If you could travel anywhere from a book that is not your own where would it be?

I'd like to visit Un Lun Dun (from China Mieville's book of the same name)--it's such an intriguing and quirky place. :)

Anything else we should know about Give up the Ghost?

The very awesome perfume maker Super Bad Soap has been making "ghost scents" to go with each of the ghosts in the book (who do have a particular smell that goes with them). Keep an eye on her site -- http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5250141 -- they should be up soon if they're not already.

Thanks for the interview!

Thanks Megan!
Look out for this book on September 15th I am sure it will be great!


Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. I'm really excited to read Give Up The Ghost, great interview!

    shutupimreading.blogspot.com
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview! Can't wait to read her book.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I love getting comments, I will try to answer all of them time willing!