Home       Disclaimer       Criteria       Review Policy       Contact       About       Reviews       An Adventurer's Guide to What to Read!

July 18, 2010

The Extraordinary Secrets of April, May, and June

Title:  The Extraordinary Secrets of April, May, and June
Author:  Robin Benway
Publisher:  Razorbill
Release Date:  August 3, 2010
Received From:  ATWT
Three sisters, three extraordinary, life-changing powers!

Three sisters share a magical, unshakeable bond in this witty high-concept novel from the critically acclaimed author of Audrey, Wait! Around the time of their parents’ divorce, sisters April, May, and June recover special powers from childhood—powers that come in handy navigating the hell that is high school. Powers that help them cope with the hardest year of their lives. But could they have a greater purpose?

This is Robin's sophomore novel. Her first book Audry wait was amazing and loved by all! So I was really excited to read this book. But even though there is a great premise I felt that this book fell kind of flat.

I expected more world saving I guess. The story is basically about 3 sisters who learn that the most important thing is each other, and the plot is only thickened a little by the powers.

That being said each of the girl's were there own character, and they were very different, which I appreciated. Their relationships with each other and with the other characters were real and believable. Basically the characters kept me going in this novel, without that I would have hated this book, but because of the characters it made the book tolerable.






CymLowell

2 comments:

  1. Love the cover on this one! Sorry to hear that it didn't really work for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. +JMJ+

    I think I'd like this one, anyway. =) High school can be hell enough without superpowers; I don't blame these girls for not being that ambitious yet. But even a basic coming-of-age book in which the characters just happen to have superpowers can fall flat, so I see what you mean.

    Thanks for the review, Mariah! =)

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I love getting comments, I will try to answer all of them time willing!