Home       Disclaimer       Criteria       Review Policy       Contact       About       Reviews       An Adventurer's Guide to What to Read!

July 10, 2013

Prophecy by Ellen Oh

Title: Prophecy (The Dragon King Chronicles #1)
Author: Ellen Oh
Publisher: HarperTeen
Release Date: January 2, 2013
Received From: Library

Synopsis: The greatest warrior in all of the Seven Kingdoms... is a girl with yellow eyes.

Kira’s the only female in the king’s army, and the prince’s bodyguard. She’s a demon slayer and an outcast, hated by nearly everyone in her home city of Hansong. And, she’s their only hope...

Murdered kings and discovered traitors point to a demon invasion, sending Kira on the run with the young prince. He may be the savior predicted in the Dragon King Prophecy, but the missing treasure of myth may be the true key. With only the guidance of the cryptic prophecy, Kira must battle demon soldiers, evil shaman, and the Demon Lord himself to find what was once lost and raise a prince into a king.

Intrigue and mystery, ancient lore and action-packed fantasy come together in this heart-stopping first book in a trilogy.


Review:
I love fantasy books, give me a stack of fantasy novels and I am set. So I was super excited to read Prophesy which is a fantasy inspired by Korean myths.

One of my favorite Asian inspired fantasies is Silver Phoenix by Cindy Pon, so while I was letting Prophesy stand on its own I wanted it to be just as good as Silver Phoenix. Unfortunately while I liked Prophesy, it had no where near the magic of Silver Phoenix. 

Kira is a very, very strong female lead. She kicks ass and takes names all while being hated by everyone in the city, because her uncle the king won't allow them to know what she does. But when the city gets attacked only she can protect the prince.

I loved the ancient lore that we learn throughout the book. If you have read my blog for long you know that that is one of my favorite parts of fantasy novels and Prophesy was no exception. Though I do wish that the Monks had been a little less vague. The kind of acted like they did not really know what was going on either which was frustrating for both Kira and I.

There is a hit of romance in this book but not so much that it took away from the plot which I really appreciated.

The only real problem I had with Prophesy was that I found it predictable. Not all of it but the major plot points I guessed right away. I still enjoyed the book but it took a little of the magic out of the story.

Overall Prophesy was a captivating read and a great addition to the YA fantasy genre.




Check out my review of Silver Phoenix by Cindy Pon here


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I love getting comments, I will try to answer all of them time willing!