Home       Disclaimer       Criteria       Review Policy       Contact       About       Reviews       An Adventurer's Guide to What to Read!

January 2, 2012

Cinder

imageTitle: Cinder
Author: Marissa Meyer
Publisher: Feiwel and Friends
Release Date: January 3, 2012
Received From: Publisher in return for a honest review

Summary: 
Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . .
Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.

Review:
Happy New Year!
Today I have a review of a book I read back in October but comes out this week! I loved this book and definitely recommend you pick it up! Now onto my review:
I adore fairy tale retellings and this is one of my favorite ones I have read so far! This is a semi retelling of Cinderella, but it is so much more than that! There is romance, action, mystery, an evil stepmother, a land on the brink of war, and a deadly disease that is ravaging New Beijing.
I also liked how this wasn’t an “oh I need to be rescued” storyline. Cinder is a kick butt awesome character! She is self-sufficient but not cold, she lets certain people into her life and those she lets in, and who appreciate her she is loyal to.
The plague angle was a twist I would not have expected to have gone as well as it did, it was fully integrated into the storyline and added intrigue and an extra bit of leverage for the Lunars.
I have to admit I figured out one of the major plot twists in the story pretty early, but since I kept wavering about whether it was true or not it didn’t ruin it for me.
The dynamic between all the different characters I really liked. And I LOVED Kai, he was so sweet and down to earth, yet willing to do anything to protect his people.
Overall I loved this book and am left clamoring for the next book!
(Also I adore the cover!!!!)
th_5maps-1


mariah

2 comments:

  1. I love self sufficient characters too! Sounds like a great book.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I love getting comments, I will try to answer all of them time willing!