Home       Disclaimer       Criteria       Review Policy       Contact       About       Reviews       An Adventurer's Guide to What to Read!

December 16, 2010

Threads and Flames

Title: Threads and Flamesthreadsand flames

Author: Esther Friesner

Publisher: Viking

Release Date: November 25, 2010

Received From: Publisher

Summary:

It's 1910, and thirteen-year-old Raisa has just traveled alone from a small Polish shtetl all the way to New York City. It's overwhelming, awe-inspiring, and even dangerous, especially when she discovers that her sister has disappeared and she must now fend for herself. She finds work in the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory sewing bodices on the popular shirtwaists. Raisa makes friends and even—dare she admit it?— falls in love. But then 1911 dawns, and one March day a spark ignites in the factory. One of the city's most harrowing tragedies unfolds, and Raisa's life is forever changed. . . .

One hundred years after the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire, this moving young adult novel gives life to the tragedy and hope of this transformative event in American history.

Review:

I love historical fiction and I loved Esther’s Nobody’s Princess series so I was really excited to get the chance to read this book!

Raisa was  a really interesting character, she was strong willed and has so much determination. I loved reading about her determination to succeed no matter what the odds.

I liked how Esther took such a devastating event that many people had probably never heard of, and made it accessible to the generation of today.

One problem I had with the novel was the fact that it ended really nicely. I was happy for Raisa but I did not feel like that was realistic I wish she had gotten some of the things she wanted but maybe not all so the ending would seem more real.

Overall this was a poignant tale of never giving up!

Make sure to check out my guest post with Esther tomorrow!

4 ivy2

 

1012898

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I love getting comments, I will try to answer all of them time willing!