Home       Disclaimer       Criteria       Review Policy       Contact       About       Reviews       An Adventurer's Guide to What to Read!

August 5, 2013

Neptune's Tears by Susan Waggoner

Neptune's Tears
Title: Neptune's Tears
Author: Susan Waggoner
Publisher: Henry Holt and Co.
Release Date: June 25, 2013
Received From: Publisher in return for honest review
Synopsis: London, 2218 A.D. Seventeen-year-old Zee is an intern empath. She’s focused on her job, poised for a great career—until one day an attractive patient undoes her hard-earned calm. As an empath, she cannot afford such distractions, but neither can she stay away from David, even when she discovers he’s one of a mysterious alien race. As London comes under attack by anarchist bombings, and as Zee struggles to get a handle on her unusually strong psychic abilities, David starts pulling away. Although Zee’s sure he’s attracted to her, David has secrets he cannot share. But it’s too late for Zee. She’s losing her heart to the gray-eyed alien boy, and she’s determined to follow him—no matter how far it may take her.

 Review: I was really intrigued by the premise of Neptune's Tears but once I started reading it I realized that the story was even more than I had imagined.

As a science major I really connected with Zee. And I think many people can connect with her drive to keep her job/schooling at the forefront of her life. Beyond that I really liked Zee, she was a strong character and knew what she wanted.

I also really enjoyed the world building in Neptune's Tears. I felt like it was fully fleshed out and very vivid. Also the story about the aliens coming and everyone embracing them seemed like something that could really happen.

There was a major twist at the end and while I knew something was up I was not expecting that at all! But there was also a heart-breaking part that made me want to cry.

David and Zee's relationship was very natural. It was not fake feeling and even though they had some istant chemistry I felt like it progressed from there in a more accurate way than many other books. It also did not feel forced like in some other stories I have read. Their connection was vivid.

There is a whole plot line about Neptune's Tears which are some very important diamonds. But I never really understood what they had to do with anything besides the old woman who Zee treats. I hope it is more elaborated on in the next books. I was just surprised that they were not a bigger deal considering that's the name of the book.

Besides that I really enjoyed it and think it is a great new sci-fi series.




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I love getting comments, I will try to answer all of them time willing!