Home       Disclaimer       Criteria       Review Policy       Contact       About       Reviews       An Adventurer's Guide to What to Read!

April 12, 2010

The Beautiful Between

Title: The Beautiful Between
Author: Alyssa B. Sheinmel
Publisher: Knopf Books
Release Date: May 11, 2010
Received From:  ATWT


If high school were a fairy-tale kingdom, Connelly Sternin would be Rapunzel, locked not in a tower by a wicked witch but in a high-rise apartment building by the SATs and college applications—and by the secrets she keeps. Connelly's few friends think that her parents are divorced—but they're not. Connelly's father died when she was two, and she doesn't know how.


If Connelly is the Rapunzel of her school, Jeremy Cole is the crown prince, son of a great and rich New York City family. So when he sits down next to her at lunch one day, Connelly couldn't be more surprised. But Jeremy has a tragic secret of his own, and Connelly is the only one he can turn to for help. Together they form a council of two, helping each other with their homework and sharing secrets. As the pair's friendship grows, Connelly learns that it's the truth, not the secrets, that one must guard and protect. And that between friends, the truth, however harsh, is also beautiful.

Based on the summary of this book I was expecting a fairy-tale retelling which i love, but that is not what this book was at all. It is more about a girl struggling with high school, and her father's death which she knows nothing about. It is a story about an unlikely friendship, where each party gives and takes a little, but both are better for it.

This book was not just your typical high school story, there are also elements mixed in that make it an even deeper story. I think that this book had a lot of good messages in it, that did not particularly touch me, but I think they would touch others.

Overall a pretty good book but the summary is very misleading.

4/5








* This link is from Amazon Associates. I have recently become an Amazon associate so if you click on the link in my posts or use the search button for Amazon in the sidebar, and you buy something, I will get a small profit which I will then use for better books for contests! So if you really like my review for a book or have been thinking about buying it, just search or it in the search box or click on the corresponding link! It is a win, win situation for you!

2 comments:

  1. I'm not a big fan of misleading summaries, but I'm glad you still liked it. I'll defiantly add it to my wishlist and see if it "touches" me. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I might like this. I'm interested as to what those things are that might touch others but did not touch you.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I love getting comments, I will try to answer all of them time willing!