Home       Disclaimer       Criteria       Review Policy       Contact       About       Reviews       An Adventurer's Guide to What to Read!

June 12, 2013

For Darkness Shows the Stars by Diana Peterfreund

Title: For Darkness Shows the Stars 
Author: Diana Peterfreund 
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Release Date: June 12, 2012
Received: From the library

Summary:  It's been several generations since a genetic experiment gone wrong caused the Reduction, decimating humanity and giving rise to a Luddite nobility who outlawed most technology.
Elliot North has always known her place in this world. Four years ago Elliot refused to run away with her childhood sweetheart, the servant Kai, choosing duty to her family's estate over love. Since then the world has changed: a new class of Post-Reductionists is jumpstarting the wheel of progress, and Elliot's estate is foundering, forcing her to rent land to the mysterious Cloud Fleet, a group of shipbuilders that includes renowned explorer Captain Malakai Wentforth--an almost unrecognizable Kai. And while Elliot wonders if this could be their second chance, Kai seems determined to show Elliot exactly what she gave up when she let him go.
But Elliot soon discovers her old friend carries a secret--one that could change their society . . . or bring it to its knees. And again, she's faced with a choice: cling to what she's been raised to believe, or cast her lot with the only boy she's ever loved, even if she's lost him forever.
Inspired by Jane Austen's persuasion, "For Darkness Shows the Stars" is a breathtaking romance about opening your mind to the future and your heart to the one person you know can break it.
 
Review:  
So I am going  to preface this review by saying I have never read Persuasion. I know, I know, but I say this to bring home the point that this is not a strict retelling or anything like that. For Darkness Shows the Stars was inspired by Persuasion so even if you did not like Persuasion or if like me you had never read it I think you could really like this book!

I read this book in one day. Not one night which is when I normally read, one day I sat on the couch and besides some interruptions of having to do things I was reading this book. I was sucked in by Diana Peterfreund's masterful storytelling and was not let go until a few days after. I even find myself thinking about this book randomly it was so good.

I have read all of Peterfreund's other books including her adult books, and they are all really good. But For Darkness Shows the Stars has to be my favorite. Just the world building and the characters ugh. I don't even know. I just loved it.

Elliot is awesome! She is tough, strong, determined and broken. Sh has had to deal with so many things beyond her years that it takes a while for her to warm up to anyone. Especially when a certain Kai shows back up. I felt for her when she had to deal with him and I loved reading their letters to each other in between the chapters. It slowly opened up more of the story.

I loved the ending of For Darkness Shows the Stars it was awesome and I have to say that even though I adored this book I loved that it was a stand-alone.

I cannot wait for the companion novel Across the Star-Swept Sea but you should definitely check out this amazing book!






0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I love getting comments, I will try to answer all of them time willing!