Home       Disclaimer       Criteria       Review Policy       Contact       About       Reviews       An Adventurer's Guide to What to Read!

January 6, 2013

Born Wicked by Jessica Spotswood Review

Title: Born Wicked  

Author: Jessica Spotswood 
Publisher: Putnam Juvenile 
Release Date: February 7, 2012 Pb: January 3, 2013

Received: From the Library

Summary:  Everybody knows Cate Cahill and her sisters are eccentric. Too pretty, too reclusive, and far too educated for their own good. But the truth is even worse: they’re witches. And if their secret is discovered by the priests of the Brotherhood, it would mean an asylum, a prison ship—or an early grave.

Before her mother died, Cate promised to protect her sisters. But with only six months left to choose between marriage and the Sisterhood, she might not be able to keep her word... especially after she finds her mother’s diary, uncovering a secret that could spell her family’s destruction. Desperate to find alternatives to their fate, Cate starts scouring banned books and questioning rebellious new friends, all while juggling tea parties, shocking marriage proposals, and a forbidden romance with the completely unsuitable Finn Belastra.

If what her mother wrote is true, the Cahill girls aren’t safe. Not from the Brotherhood, the Sisterhood—not even from each other.


Review:  Historical and Fantasy in one magical book; what more can a girl want? I loved Born Wicked and I am kicking myself for waiting so long to read it.

With magic, secret societies, prophesies, and romance Born Wicked has something for almost any YA lover. It is a fantastic debut that really shows off what Jessica Spotswood can do.

I liked most of the characters in this book, even the ones that I thought I was not going to like I started warming up to by the end of the book. I liked how different all three sisters were, even if Maura drove me mad, they each had their own goals and motivations but thy were tied together as a family. I thought the family dynamic was illustrated very well. 

As the story went on the plot got even more twisted and complicated but I never got lost or felt like I was being info dumped on. I cannot wait for the next book to see where Cate's decision takes them! 

I recommend this book to everyone but especially people who loved Marissa Doyle's Betraying Season, and Bewitching Season, and if you haven't read them pick them up as you wait for the second book in the Cahill Witch Chronicles.




1 comments:

  1. I quite liked this one, though I didn't completely love it. I still need to read Marissa Doyle's Betraying Season - I only read the first book.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I love getting comments, I will try to answer all of them time willing!