Home       Disclaimer       Criteria       Review Policy       Contact       About       Reviews       An Adventurer's Guide to What to Read!

August 11, 2012

Because It Is My Blood by Gabrielle Zevin

Title: Because It Is My Blood (Birthright #2)
Author: Gabrielle Zevin 
Publisher: Farrar, Straus, and Giroux 
Release Date: September 18, 2012
Received: For review from publisher 

Summary:  “Every time I think I’m out, they pull me back in.”- Michael Corleone, The Godfather

Since her release from Liberty Children's Facility, Anya Balanchine is determined to follow the straight and narrow. Unfortunately, her criminal record is making it hard for her to do that. No high school wants her with a gun possession charge on her rap sheet. Plus, all the people in her life have moved on: Natty has skipped two grades at Holy Trinity, Scarlet and Gable seem closer than ever, and even Win is in a new relationship.But when old friends return demanding that certain debts be paid, Anya is thrown right back into the criminal world that she had been determined to escape. It’s a journey that will take her across the ocean and straight into the heart of the birthplace of chocolate where her resolve--and her heart--will be tested as never before.
  

Review:  All The Things I've Done is the first book in this series and really beat up Anya. But it was nothing compared to all that she goes through in Because It Is My Blood. Just when it looked like her life couldn't get any worse she gets pummeled again.

Now that's not saying that Because It Is My Blood is all upsetting drama and death. Natty and Anya's relationship grows and I loved watching Natty come into her own. Learning more about the chocolate business was also very interesting and I liked how Zevin went into it more. 

I also felt that Anya came into her own, I felt by the end she finally discovered what she wanted and was determined to fight for it. I love when there is clear character growth in a series. Gabrielle Zevin really set up the thrid book in the series and I cannot wait to see what happens next.

Even though I really enjoyed Because it is my Blood, parts of it were kind of dull and I wish the plot had been a little faster, but I definitely recommend this series.

To find out more about All the Things I've done check out my review!
And as you are waiting for the next book be sure to check out Gabrielle's other book Elsewhere!

1 comments:

Hi! I love getting comments, I will try to answer all of them time willing!