Home       Disclaimer       Criteria       Review Policy       Contact       About       Reviews       An Adventurer's Guide to What to Read!

August 27, 2012

A Midsummer's Nightmare by Kody Keplinger review

Title: A Midsummer's Nightmare  
Author: Kody Keplinger
Publisher: Poppy
Release Date: June 5, 2012
Received: From publisher for review

Summary:  
Whitley Johnson's dream summer with her divorcé dad has turned into a nightmare. She's just met his new fiancée and her kids. The fiancée's son? Whitley's one-night stand from graduation night. Just freakin' great.

Worse, she totally doesn't fit in with her dad's perfect new country-club family. So Whitley acts out. She parties. Hard. So hard she doesn't even notice the good things right under her nose: a sweet little future stepsister who is just about the only person she's ever liked, a best friend (even though Whitley swears she doesn't "do" friends), and a smoking-hot guy who isn't her stepbrother...at least, not yet. It will take all three of them to help Whitley get through her anger and begin to put the pieces of her family together.

Filled with authenticity and raw emotion, Whitley is Kody Keplinger's most compelling character to date: a cynical Holden Caulfield-esque girl you will wholly care about.
 
 

Review:
Whenever I pick up a book by Kody Keplinger I know I am in for a treat. Kody's books are relate-able and realistic portrayals of high school students This is most obvious in her debut The Duff. After The Duff, A Midsummer's Nightmare is my favorite of her books. 

Whitley was not my favorite main character. But I grew into her and by the end I wanted to be her friend. I love when an author takes an unlikeable main character and makes her sympathetic thus making me like her. Kody has done an excellent job of this in A Midsummer's Nightmare.

I loved Nathan. He is a fabulous person and so sweet. I also adored Harrison who originally showed up a little in The DUFF so I liked getting to know him better, I would love to meet people like these boys!

Some other characters from the Duff have a little cameo in A Midsummer's Nightmare and it was nice to see where they were.

Overall I LOVED this book. I read it all the way through and when I had to stop I could'nt wait to go back to it to find out what would happen next. 

Check out my review of Kody's sophomore book Shut Out
  

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I love getting comments, I will try to answer all of them time willing!