Home       Disclaimer       Criteria       Review Policy       Contact       About       Reviews       An Adventurer's Guide to What to Read!

June 20, 2012

52 Reasons to Hate my Father by Jessica Brody

52 Reasons To Hate My FatherTitle: 52 Reasons to Hate my Father
Author: Jessica Brody
Publisher: Farrar Straus & Giroux
Release Date: July 3, 2012
Received From: Publisher in return for a honest review

Summary:
Being America’s favorite heiress is a dirty job, but someone’s gotta do it.
Lexington Larrabee has never to work a day in her life. After all, she’s the heiress to the multi-billion-dollar Larrabee Media empire. And heiresses are not supposed to work. But then again, they’re not supposed to crash brand new Mercedes convertibles into convenience stores on Sunset Blvd either.
Which is why, on Lexi’s eighteen birthday, her ever-absent, tycoon father decides to take a more proactive approach to her wayward life. Every week for the next year, she will have to take on a different low-wage job if she ever wants to receive her beloved trust fund. But if there’s anything worse than working as a maid, a dishwasher, and a fast-food restaurant employee, it’s dealing with Luke, the arrogant, albeit moderately attractive, college intern her father has assigned to keep tabs on her.
In a hilarious “comedy of heiress” about family, forgiveness, good intentions, and best of all, second chances, Lexi learns that love can be unconditional, money can be immaterial, and, regardless of age, everyone needs a little saving. And although she might have 52 reasons to hate her father, she only needs one reason to love him.


Review:
52 Reasons to Hate My Father was a really good book. While I was reading it I totally felt like it could be one of the many out of control heiresses that are always on TV. It was really fun to see Lexi’s life change and her finally understand the point of her life.
Watching Lexi navigate her new jobs and learn to have responsibility is really interesting. She has some of the same thoughts that I would have if placed in a similar situation, and she even likes some of the jobs. Though I wish we had gotten to see her in action a little more. I also adored the little transcripts she had to make for Luke regarding her jobs. They were highly entertaining and they were almost my favorite part of the novel. Also Luke added so much to the story and I loved getting to know him.


I also liked getting to know some of her coworkers and i wish we had gotten to see that side of her a little more, but what we got I loved.
 
 
Now Lexi is not just some shallow, spoiled brat. I mean she is but there is also a deeper level to her motivations and psyche. I enjoyed unraveling the motivations behind her behavior along with her. Because ultimately she wants to find out about her father and why he is so distant as well as understand his relationship with her mother.
 
 
So while Jessica Brody has written a fluffy book in 52 Reasons to Hate My Father, she has also written a book that talks about why people shut themselves off when something happens, and the ramifications of those actions.
I enjoyed 52 Reasons to Hate my Father, though I wish there had been more looks into her jobs. I definitely recommend if you want a fluffy, hilarious book with some backbone!
th_4maps-1


mariah

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I love getting comments, I will try to answer all of them time willing!