Home       Disclaimer       Criteria       Review Policy       Contact       About       Reviews       An Adventurer's Guide to What to Read!

April 22, 2012

The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa

The Cover of The Immortal Rules by Julie KagawaTitle: The Immortal Rules
Author: Julie Kagawa
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Release Date: April 24, 2012
Received From: Publisher in return for an honest review

Summary:
You will kill. The only question is when.
In the dark days since the insidious Red Lung virus decimated the human population, vampires have risen to rule the crumbling cities and suburbs. Uncontested Princes hold sway over diminished ranks of humans: their "pets." In exchange for their labor, loyalty and of course, their blood, these pets are registered, given food and shelter, permitted to survive.
Unregistered humans cling to fringes, scavenging for survival. Allison Sekemoto and her fellow Unregistereds are hunted, not only by vampires, but by rabids, the unholy result of Red Lung-infected vampires feeding on unwary humans. One night, Allie is attacked by a pack of rabids, saved by an unlikely hero...and turned vampire.
Uncomfortable in her undead skin, Allie falls in with a ragtag crew of humans seeking a cure, or cures: for Rabidism and for Vampirism. She's passing for human...for now. But the hunger is growing and will not be denied. Not for friendship—not even for love.
Review:
I am one of the many people who fell in love with Julie Kagawa’s storytelling and writing in her Iron Fey series. This newest book is completely different from that world and takes a new and inventive look at vampires.

I know what you're thinking. Vampires? Really? Trust me I know how you feel. But Julie Kagawa makes them new again in The Immortal Rules, and its not just a world with vampires, there are humans and rabids as well. I personally found the rabids creation story to be fascinating.

The vampires are the ruling class in this post-apocalyptic world.  Which was a twist that I found interesting, and it affirmed the fact that vampires are DANGEROUS and not to be messed with. I also really liked how Allie struggled to keep hold of her humanity, it made her easier to relate with and made you feel for her even though she is a vampire.

Also Allie is a bad-ass before she gets bitten, which I appreciated because I am not a fan of weak female characters. There is also a little romance, but it is not a big thing that consumes the whole story which I really liked.

I liked so many things about The Immortal Rules but my absolute favorite was learning the mythology behind Julie Kagawa’s vampires. The way they were created and how their bodies work made so much sense to me, and I loved learning about it.

Even though The Immortal Rules is a pretty size-able book I was able to finish rather quickly and I never got bored. I totally recommend it for fans of vampires and those who are a little tired of them as well. And if you fell in love with Julie Kagawa’s Iron Fey series I think you will like this as well! I cannot wait for the next one!

th_5maps-1





19 comments:

  1. I have to admit I haven't read a whole lot of vampire books...but truth be told, Twilight's supernatural bloodsuckers felt very real and interesting to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read a "twist" that completely shocked me yet, but I'm hoping The Immortal Rules will do the job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. fan of Julie kagawa's books so can't wait for her new one

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm excited to read this new vampire book because I love Julie Kagawa's writing and I can only imagine that this book will be just as incredible as she is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. New twists on vampires are always exciting. The 'lovey-dovey' vampire has been overdone. Vampire's weren't meant to be human, as they technically aren't anymore. It'll be interesting to read a book that goes back to the dark side of being a vampire.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favorite was the Vampire Academy series by richelle read

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not sure what my favorite vampire tale is, but I did really like A Discovery of Witches. I'm really curious to read this one, because it's a dystopia...and I read all of them. :-p

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vampire Academy! I love the series! And I cannot wait to read this series, it sounds AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't read that many vampire books. Too much romance for me, and vampire romance isn't really appealing to me. I can't wait to read this one though, it's so refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Eh, Vampire Academy was good. Twilight wasn't so bad either, but it's gotten so overused. This is going to be something new.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This will probably be my first vampire book, no kidding. I haven't even read twilight.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the Vampire Diaries.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have heard fantastic things about this novel and really want to read a non-sparkly Vampire book!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love J.R. Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood series, and also Delilah S. Dawson's Wicked As They Come.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love julie kagawas story telling and am super excited to read her new book :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. My favorite vampire series is Vampire Academy. They're so well done and manage to take something that's been done a thousand times and make it fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I LOVE Vampire Diaries, the original four. The new ones are not so good, but the originals are great! I'm sooo excited to read this book because I love Julie's Iron Fey books, and I love vamps, so this is the perfect combo! :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm excited for the new take on vampires because I thought everything imaginable had already been written and I can't wait to see what Julie has come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  19. My current favorite vampire book is Drink, Slay, Love by Sarah Beth Durst. :]

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I love getting comments, I will try to answer all of them time willing!