Home       Disclaimer       Criteria       Review Policy       Contact       About       Reviews       An Adventurer's Guide to What to Read!

February 6, 2010

Poison Study, Magic Study, and Fire Study

Title: Poison Study, Magic Study, & Fire Study
Author:  Maria V. Snyder
Publisher: Luna
Release Date: Various
Received From:  Library


This is the synopsis from the first book as not to give anything away:
Choose: A quick death…Or slow poison…

About to be executed for murder, Yelena is offered an extraordinary reprieve. She'll eat the best meals, have rooms in the palace—and risk assassination by anyone trying to kill the Commander of Ixia.

And so Yelena chooses to become a food taster. But the chief of security, leaving nothing to chance, deliberately feeds her Butterfly's Dust—and only by appearing for her daily antidote will she delay an agonizing death from the poison.

As Yelena tries to escape her new dilemma, disasters keep mounting. Rebels plot to seize Ixia and Yelena develops magical powers she can't control. Her life is threatened again and choices must be made. But this time the outcomes aren't so clear…

I really enjoyed this series, I decided to do one review for them all because I felt there was not enough to say to fill three reviews, also I wanted to give as little away as possible.

I'd have to say my favorite book in this series was Poison Study, there was so much intrigue, and interest, i really liked the idea of Ixian tradition and the storyline that, that brought. I enjoyed the fast paced manner of this one better than in the other two books.

While Poison Study was my favorite I really enjoyed Magic, and Fire Study as well, while there was too much traveling for me in these books, I loved the new aspect of romance, and the more political sense that they had.

Overall this series was good, but the last two kind of left me wishing for less traveling. I loved Yelena and Valek, as well as all the other characters in these books!

(One thing about the covers, is while they are beautiful they are white-washed, Yelena is a POC  and that fact is very important in these books, especially the last two. I just wanted to draw your attention to that fact.)

Overall for the series: 4.5
Poison Study: 5/5
Magic Study: 4.5/5
Fire Study: 4/5


1 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed it, the Study books are one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I love getting comments, I will try to answer all of them time willing!