Home       Disclaimer       Criteria       Review Policy       Contact       About       Reviews       An Adventurer's Guide to What to Read!

February 28, 2010

Magic Under Glass

Title: Magic Under Glass
Author: Jaclyn Dolamore
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Release Date: December 22, 2009
Received From:  AWT (Around the World Tours)

Nimira is a foreign music-hall girl forced to dance for mere pennies. When wealthy sorcerer Hollin Parry hires her to sing with a piano-playing automaton, Nimira believes it is the start of a new and better life. In Parry's world, however, buried secrets are beginning to stir. Unsettling below-stairs rumors swirl about ghosts, a madwoman roaming the halls, and Parry's involvement with a league of sorcerers who torture fairies for sport. Then Nimira discovers the spirit of a fairy gentleman named Erris is trapped inside the clockwork automaton, waiting for someone to break his curse. The two fall into a love that seems hopeless, and breaking the curse becomes a race against time, as not just their love, but the fate of the entire magical world may be in peril.

There has been a lot of controversy surrounding the cover of this book, but Bloomsbury has recently made a new cover for it, which is the cover that I am using for this review, I have to say that I like this cover much better than the previous, and I think it fits the book better.

This book had a really great premise, I mean an enchanted automaton? I have never heard of a book with that idea! And the characters were really believe! I fell in love with Namira and Erris. The plot was gripping and i fell into it. Dolamore's writing was exquisite, her ability to pull me into the novel was really nice and I cannot wait for more from her!

Some problems I had with the book, was that I felt that the ending was not resolved well enough, and  the ending seemed a bit disconnected, like there should be a sequel or something of that nature.

Besides that I enjoyed this novel, and cannot wait (hopefully) for the next book and more from Dolamore!

4/5

10 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this book so much.

    I gotta say though, I like the automaton better than the flesh and blood side of him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lovd this book as well. Hopefully there will be a sequel!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Taschima I totally agree, I preferred him in automaton form.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read this book, but I'm beginning to wonder if I should.... I've heard some pretty great things about it. Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know that there is a sequel?!? I'd heard that she might be working on one, but last I checked, nothing was certain. Ohhhh, I hope you're right that there is a sequel! As like you said, things were left open at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  6. brizmus I am not positive and I thought there was going to be one, because with the ending i thought it was a no brainer. But I did some research and you are right Jaclyn Dolamore is not contracted for a sequel which is bad, because the book definitely needs a great resolution. Sorry for the confusion, I have edited the post to show that. But I agree that I hope I was right!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read this one yet, but I'm seeing it around the blogosphere. So I think I'll definitely check this one out...Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree - this really does sound like a unique premise! I love anything with magic and mystery, so this sounds like it's right up my alley. I really hope there's a sequel since you said the ending is a little unresolved! I hate parting with characters I really like, so I'm big on series :-) Definitely going to check this one out!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I love getting comments, I will try to answer all of them time willing!