Home       Disclaimer       Criteria       Review Policy       Contact       About       Reviews       An Adventurer's Guide to What to Read!

September 22, 2009

Interview with Samira Hodges; Milestone book tour

Today I have an interview with debut author Samira Hodges. Her book Milestones came out on August 1st so go check it out.
Where do you get your inspiration?

A lot of it comes from my super active imagination but I do get some of it from real life. I’ve had a lot of really neat experiences from traveling, to going to medical school in the  Caribbean , to being a doctor for the first time. I’ve met tons of cool and interesting people and I do occasionally get inspired by them. Occasionally, I will read a great book or see a fantastic movie and it becomes the motivation I need to set up my laptop and write for 5 hours without a break. But mostly (mostly), I would say I come up with ideas and stories just like that.

2-     What kind of research did you do for your book?

Actually not much. Milestones is a made-up world so I was able to be the master of the story. You may also notice that I don’t divulge the location of the camp and this is because it’s may be a real location that I deliberately chose not to name. You may also note a few medical-type references and since I’m a doctor, I didn’t need to do any research there either. For the most part, I write what I know.

3-     Do you use an outline when you write?

I do! I have an outline for books 1 to 3 of Milestones. It’s a very rough outline but it helps keep me focused and helps me stay on track with the sequence of events. I usually think up the entire story in one shot, write it down in point form and then start writing out the story, chapter by chapter. Occasionally, things will change and the story will take a different route. But that’s part of being an author. We evolve and our work evolves with us. Plus, we’re often unsatisfied with the first draft (and the second draft and the third draft…..)

4-     How long does it usually take you to write a book?

That’s a tough question because I’ve only written one book and am in the process of writing my second. My first book took one summer to write (but I was in school and had the summer off so that may have been an exception). Then I spent a year tweaking it. Milestones Two is already taking longer than that but mainly because I work 80 hours a week now so free time is a luxury…. and a rarity!

5-     Where you a big reader or write when you were growing up?

Definitely both. Probably more the latter than the former but honestly, I don’t think you can be one without the other.

6-     What do you do when you have writer’s block?

Find a way to get inspired. I read one of my favorite books or read someone’s inspirational biography or sometimes even watch a very moving movie. Sometimes, it’s best to step away, take a breath, do something different and come back to it when you feel ready.

7-     What motivates you to go and finish a book?

The story. I really want to tell the Milestones story. I feel as though it’s a story people may appreciate and it’s truly a story worth telling. Now that people have read the first one, I am even more motivated to finish the trilogy so that my readers can see how the story ends up.

8-     If you could travel anywhere from a book that is not yours, where would it be?

Can I be totally cliché here and say Hogwarts? The Harry Potter series is so unique and imaginative, I can’t say that I wouldn’t love to be part of the world JK Rowling has created. Although, Anne Brashares made me really want to visit  Greece too.

Check out the rest of the book tour stops to find out more! 
9/13: theundercoverbooklover.blogspot.com
9/14: wantmyya.blogspot.com
9/18: flipthepagebookreview.blogspot.com
9/20: addicted-to-literature.blogspot.com
9/21: booksobsession.blogspot.com
9/22: mariah-readingadventure.blogspot.com
9/25: readingrocks4me.blogspot.com
9/27: darlingreviews.blogspot.com


Be sure to check out her blog!
http://sahodges.blogspot.com/


Photobucket

1 comments:

  1. Great interview. I haven't heard of this one yet. I love the cover. Going to do more research.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I love getting comments, I will try to answer all of them time willing!