Home       Disclaimer       Criteria       Review Policy       Contact       About       Reviews       An Adventurer's Guide to What to Read!

October 17, 2012

Two and Twenty Dark Tales Review

Title: Two and Twenty Dark Tales  
Editors: Georgia McBride and Michelle Zink   
Publisher: Month 9 Books  
Release Date: October 16, 2012
Received: Netgalley  

Summary:  In this anthology, 20 authors explore the dark and hidden meanings behind some of the most beloved Mother Goose nursery rhymes through short story retellings. The dark twists on classic tales range from exploring whether Jack truly fell or if Jill pushed him instead to why Humpty Dumpty, fragile and alone, sat atop so high of a wall. The authors include Nina Berry, Sarwat Chadda, Leigh Fallon, Gretchen McNeil, and Suzanne Young.

Review:   
I love retellings. It is really interesting to see how different authors take classic stories and make them new and different. So I was super excited to read this anthology of Mother Goose nursery rhymes retold to make them darker and expanding them.

I enjoyed all of the stories but some of my favorite were by Leigh Fallon, Leah Cypess, Angie Frazier, Jessie Harrell, Lisa Mantchev, Michelle Zink, and Suzanne Lazear. I loved Leah Cypess' and Jessie Harrell's because when I read them I could totally see the stories as full novels that I would totally read. Leigh Fallon. Angie Frazier, Lisa Mantchev, Michelle Zink, and Suzanne Lazear had great stories as well because while I could not see them as full length novels the short stories were so awesome and expanded on their nursery rhyme so well that I could read them again and again. 

All the stories in Two and Twenty Dark Tales took these nursery rhymes and expanded on them in such varied and interesting ways that I never would have thought of. The authors that I had read books by before I see their styles and it was fun to see their takes on these nursery rhymes. I was also introduced to some authors that I had never heard of before that and I am totally going to pick up their books because I really enjoyed their retellings.

One of the coolest things about this anthology besides the awesome concept is that the proceeds of the first 5,000 books go to YALITCHAT.ORG which fosters the advancement, reading, writing and acceptance of young adult literature worldwide. 

 Two ad Twenty Dark Tales is an awesome anthology that will surprise you and enchant you with each new story.



Check out my interview with Jessie Harrell one of the authors in this anthology and enter to win a copy of Jessie's book.


6 comments:

  1. This sounds so awesome. I will be purchasing a copy. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That cover is GORGEOUS!! I need it...now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw this around NetGalley, but didn't really pay attention to it. Now I'm really going to check it out. That cover...that cover is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really want to read this one!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I love getting comments, I will try to answer all of them time willing!